Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Great Aloha Run 2011

About 6 months ago, my friend Letty wanted to put a group of 7 friends together to run The Great Aloha run. She asked me if I would be interested. I needed to work off my baby weight, I agreed. But I thought I was going to end up walking the entire 8.15 miles.

Since living on the island I haven't had any of the asthma problems that I always had in California. It makes exercise not only possible but fun. I started excersing in October with my friends Letty, Sarah, and Courtney. I first started walking up and down hills--killer hills. Then I started walking/jogging in the mornings with some friends while pushing a double stroller. My friends were very kind to push the stroller as well:)

In January, the race was getting closer and I still had no idea if I could run a whole 8.15 miles. I knew I could do 4 miles because I had done that with Greg. But I was so nervous as the race was approaching. I was happy when Greg agreed to run with me and promised to stay with me during the entire run.
The night before the race I had a nightmare that I got lost in Honolulu during the race, I couldn't find my way back to the race route, and then I was attacked by a psycho lady. That morning I told Greg he couldn't leave me. He promised he would stay with me. I don't know why I was so worried.
Greg and I did start and finished the race together. To my surprise, I was able to run the entire 8.15miles. My goal was to finish under 2 hours. We finished in 1 hour and 25 minutes. That was also a BIG surprise for me.
My friend Letty has been my trainer for the past 5 months:) She's awesome! She and I agreed today that when I came back from our trip to California, we are back to training to run a half marathon for this year.
Lety and IThe ladies in our group at the bottom Letty, Sarah, top Courtney, Kary, and meOur team named, "the Paluha Siete":The race started at the Aloha Tower and finished at the Aloha stadium. Half Marathon watch out!!

1 comment:

Monty and Kristin said...

Great Job Veronica! That's great. Look forward to hearing about the half marathon. That's so funny/sad you had a bad dream the night before. Glad you didn't get lost and Greg stayed with you. You guys look great!!

Photobucket