Saturday, June 26, 2010

Carl Reuben Peterson

Carl was born on Wednesday, June 23, weighing in at a hefty 8 lbs. 9 oz. I am going to write this blog entry because Beronica is too humble to accurately say how awesome she was through the whole process and too nice to say how stupid was I. I also write for the benefit of some family members and friends that currently have pregnant wives and probably don't want to spend the weeks following the birth of their newborn sleeping on the couch.

Beronica has been feeling contractions for the past month. Monday, they intensified significantly. At her final appointment, the midwife instructed Beronica to walk as much as possible. Hence, between Friday, June 18, and Carl's birth, she was a woman on a mission, walking up and down the hills of Makakilo, probably logging a marathon or two--literally!

Greg's an idiot scene #1
The most intense contractions in the week leading up to Carl's birth usually occurred between midnight and 2am. At 1am on Tuesday Beronica woke me up. She said that she thought her water bag broke. With one eye open, I leaned up in bed, looked at a damp (but not soaked) bed sheet, looked back at my insanely comfortable pillow, and concluded that Carl must have been on her bladder. Beronica, being the sweet, loyal wife, listened to me, (probably for the last time in our marriage) rinsed off, and went and laid down on the couch.

During the ensuing 24 hours, Beronica did a terrible amount of walking with her mom, her midsection contracting all the while. We went to sleep early that evening.

Greg's an idiot scene #2
Beronica and I woke up at about 1am. She said that her contractions were stronger when she lays in bed than when she sits on the couch. I thought, logically, it would make sense to sit on the couch. Apparently, telling your pregnant, laboring wife to go sit on the couch in the middle of the night while you sleep in bed is not a good idea!

Beronica takes charge scene #1
At about 5am I got dressed to go to PT. Beronica and I watched the end of an amazing US soccer game with her dad, and I prepared to leave. That's when Beronica got serious, putting in action the "if you want something done right..." cliche. She knew my job was to get her to the hospital and that I was derelicting my duty. With fire in her eyes and command in her voice, Beronica took charge, "Call your work and tell them we're going to the hospital! Put my bag in the car and let's go. If we wait any longer, Carl will be born in a traffic jam!" At that point I made the first intelligent decision in 72 hours--I did as I was told.

Beronica takes charge scene #2 Greg's an idiot scene #3
We just beat traffic, arriving at Tripler Army Medical Center (that's the hideous pink building in northern Honolulu that can be seen from practically anywhere on island) at approximately 6:30am. Beronica and I went into the screening room where the hospital would decide whether she was far enough along to admit us. I was trying to help Beronica breathe. About three weeks ago, Beronica said that we should brush up on our Lamaze. I assured her that I was already an expert, showing her the different breathing techniques for the corresponding stages of labor. As Beronica's pain intensified, all that I could remember was to breathe in through the nose and exhale through the mouth--I don't think that is even a Lamaze technique. During one particularly excruciating contraction in the screening room, Beronica fired her coach and took charge, "Not that one, do the other one. I'm about to give birth!" I froze! Luckily, Beronica didn't, helping me through the different breathing techniques.

The midwife then checked Beronica and their ensuing conversation still gives me the chills:
Midwife: "Well, your baby's head is really high up.....
Beronica: "Does that mean you're not going to admit us?"
Midwife: "But, your dilation is 7 and your water bag has already broken. Do you have any idea when that might have happened?
Beronica: "Yesterday, at about 2am."
Midwife: I'm going to go run down the hall to find a room for you."
Beronica: "I feel like I want to push!!!"
Greg: (inaudible)

A nurse pulled Beronica's mom out of the waiting room to join us. Alma asked the nurse if we were going to have a baby today. The nurse replied that we were going to have a baby in about 20 minutes. About 1o minutes later, Beronica pushed little Carl into this world--without an epidural, without pain medication, and without a competent Lamaze coach. He is beautiful.

Beronica was amazing throughout the delivery and the weeks leading up to it. She did so well that the nurses couldn't stop praising her. They kept saying, "That's how it's done sister." And Beronica's midwife told her that she wished she had recorded the delivery to use it as an instructional video.

Currently, Carl is doing well, healthy, eating like a champ (it took him only a matter of seconds to begin nursing), sleeping, and, most importantly, letting Beronica sleep.

Beronica is recovering well. This was her first delivery without the sublime assistance of narcotics. She doesn't plan on doing it again and doesn't recommend it to anyone (though secretly I think she wants me to go through it!)

4 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

Congratulations on baby Carl!

Beronica, you rock! I am so proud of you for the awesome job you did delivering Carl! No drugs...that's the way it's done sister!:)

Greg--you are a crack up! Sounds familier. When my water broke with Tyler Monty said, "No honey, you just spilled your cup on the floor," and went back to sleep.

Anyway, one thing is certain...we are so happy Carl is here safe and sound and he was delivered in a hospital and not in a car. WE can't wait to meet him.

Michelle said...

Wow, what a great story! Sounds like you just made it to the hospital though guys, Next time Greg listen to Veronica!! :) I'm so happy for you guys!! Can't wait to see and meet him!!

Caitlin said...

I'm so happy that he's finally here! You'd think that after going through two labors already you'd KNOW that you are definitely not the one in charge. ;-)

What a great story to tell Carl someday, and I'm glad both mom and son are doing well!!

Mammy said...

This is the second greatest story ever told! I never laughed at a birthing story before. Veronica--"HOOOOAH!" You are amazing! And the story of your courage under fire will go down in Peterson history--the woman who defied the captain and did what had to be done. By the way, did Greg ever get the breathing right? I sure love you all! Kiss Carl for me. Tell him Mammy loves him--and Chase, and Savannah, and even Greg!

Photobucket