Saturday, October 10, 2009

Washington DC

Washington DC just amazed me, and the history there is unbelievable. There is so much to do and see. We tried to visit as much as we could.
Our first day, we went to the Arlington National Cemetery. It was awesome watching a solider guard the tomb of the unknown soldier. We watched a ceremony take place for a long while. It was very patriotic. If Savannah didn't have a accident, we could have watched for hours. Chase loved watching too.
After that we wanted to see the Iwo-Jima Memorial and the Theodore Roosevelt Island. Both monuments were incredible. You can spend hours in all the sites but we wanted to continue the day. We got to the mall and saw the Lincoln Memorial. Then we walked through the mall and saw the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, WWII Memorial, and the Korean War memorial. I gained such an appreciation that day for what so many soldiers have done for us. It makes being away from my husband for a few months seem like such a small sacrifice. Day two we were real adventurers and rode the metro. That was cool!We first visited the Smithsonian museum. It's really fun in there. After that we headed to the Washington monument. It is tall. Its actually the tallest free standing stone structure in the USA. Then we walked far to get to the US capitol building-amazing! We got to tour some of the building. When the tour was over, we decided to go see the Library of Congress. It's beautiful in there. To end the day we were amazed by the White House.

Day three again was a morning of packing. Finally we got ourselves together and spent the afternoon at MT Vernon, Virginia. It was cool touring Washington's house, but I I was sad that we were going to have to say goodbye to Greg shortly. Our time with Greg was over and it was really hard to say goodbye to him at the airport. This time around Chase and Savvy came, and it was sad when Chase started to cry. I love this country and my trip to DC made me realize how proud I am to be an army wife.

2 comments:

Darci said...

What a great experience to see Washington DC. I would like to visit there someday. I can't imagine how hard that would be to say goodbye again. Thank you both for sacrificing for our country.

Mammy said...

What a great bunch of pictures. It just looks magical. Chase looks like a giant next to the Washington Memorial. Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures. And thanks for a wonderful few days!

Photobucket